- 1 Metadata import/export according to MARC21
- 2 Import/Export Excel Format
- 3 Include a new thesaurus in CatMDEdit
- 4 Creation of customized metadata application profiles
- 5 Updating of metadata and contacts created with previous versions of the tool
- 6 IMPORTANT: Uninstallation of CatMDEdit
Metadata import/export according to MARC21
Import MARC21 files
This tool allows to import metadata files following to MARC21 format and transform them into ISO19115 metadata standard.
These formats are correctly recognised to make the transformation:
- MARC XML (more information at http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/)
- MARC 21 communications format - ISO 2709 (extension .mrc, more information at http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/um11to12.html)
- MARC 21 labeling
To import MARC21 files into CatMDEdit, it is necessary to follow the steps explained at import with these additional specifications:
- if the file we want to import has .mrc extension, it will be shown at the browser window only if "Marc21 (.mrc)" is selected as "Files of Type" (see the following figure)
- if the file we want to import has any other extension (txt, xml, etc.) it is recommended to select the type file that corresponds or select the option "All files"
After selecting the file, it will appear in the list of metadata to import (see the next figure). It is recommended not to check the option "Create new file identifier" because the new ISO19115 file identifier will be autogenerated during the import process based on several MARC21 elements. On the other hand, the import process will be correctly done if "default format" or "standard ISO19115" are selected.
After running the import, CatMDEdit makes the transformation from MARC21 elements into ISO19115 metadata standard. As a result, a new metadata record will appear in the resource browser (see next figure). The user can work with this record in the same conditions as any other one.
Export an ISO19115 metadata to MARC21 format
CatMDEdit allows to export ISO19115 metadata records according to MARC21 format. To do this, it is necessary to follow the export process with the following specifications:
- Select "ISO19115" as standard and one of the following possibilities as format:
- MARC21 MARCXML
- MARC21 Etiquetado
- MARC21 ISO2790
After selecting the file and export the file, CatMDEdit makes the transformation from ISO19115 to the MARC21 format file selected. As a result, the metadata record exported will have an appearance similar to the next figures.
Import/Export Excel Format
CatMDEdit tool allows to import/export metadata records from/towards an Excel file (ISO19115 Excel option) according to the NEM profile (Núcleo Español de Metadatos) which is a subset of ISO 19115 [ISO 2003].
In order to achieve a correct importation, excel fields must be in a specific order. Examples are provided in the installation directory, inside the folder “doc/excel_input”.
This Excel file main characteristics are as follows:
- The tool will only read first page information. A file is provided as an example, and can be used to write metadata and import them.
- The first row in the page that has the metadata records is reserved to write each column name.
- For each metadata record, you have to fill a row that has some columns, a subset of ISO19115 standard [ISO 2003]. If any of them is left blank, the metadata will also be created without this information. Dates will be introduced writing: four digit year, followed by two digit month and then two digit day of the month (v. gr. 20040216 is 2004 February, the 16th). Let’s point out that if you write a date using a different format, text processing tool will not be able to reload it
Next, it is shown a table that describes all the columns in the Excel file: name, value set, and a content example. For further information of each metadata element description in this Excel file, see ISO19115 en standard definition [ISO 2003]
Include a new thesaurus in CatMDEdit
CatMDEdit does not include a menu to automatically add new thesauri. However, it can be done following this procedure:
- Creation of the thesaurus: For the creation of a new thesaurus, you need to use the ThManager tool (http://thmanager.sourceforge.net/). You can create the thesaurus directly with the tool or import them if you have it in SKOS format.
- Locate the thesaurus files: Once you have created or imported the thesaurus, you will find two files containing the thesaurus in the local folder of your ThManager tool called "repository\thesaurus". The two files are an .xml with the thesaurus metadata and a .dat file with the thesaurus in binary format.
- Copy the thesaurus file to CatMDEdit repositories: copy the two previous files into the folder "repository\thesaurus" of CatMDEdit (without modifying the name or content).
- The next time you launch the application, the new thesaurus will be available
You have to be careful when you create the thesaurus metadata, especially when filling the <dc:type> element. The value of the <dc:type> restricts the visibility of the thesaurus in some of the metadata edition interfaces of CatMDEdit. According to the type (language, theme, place), the thesaurus is available (or not) for the edition of a particular metadata element (metadata language, theme keyword, place keyword).
Creation of customized metadata application profiles
The distribution of CatMDEdit is prepared to include new editors of ISO19115 based on personalized profiles. In order to define that profile, it is necessary to modify a set of property files which information needed by the application about each standard element is detailed.
The following subsections describe how to configure a profile and how activate it for edition.
Set the profile elements
Configuration profiles necessaries for create a personalized ISO 19115 profile are in the \template\genericEditor\gui\ISO19115 - Customized Profile subdirectory inside the installation directory. In this directory, there is an xml file for each class defined in the model of the metadata standard.
Each xml consist of one main element object, which contains as much elements as attributes the class on the ISO19115 model has. The assigned label to each element is related to its own graphic representation in the editor. The labels complex and singleComplex represent those fields of the standard that must be filled out with other classes which are, for their part, consists of another set of fields. For example, the field citation of MD_DataIdentification element is filled out through CI_Citation class, which contains the fields title, alternateTitle, date… In order to generate the editor, there will be an xml file with information of the class MD_DataIdentification, which will have contents similar to the next ones:
Additionally, there will be an xml file with information about the class CI_Citation, specifying each field of this class.
In order to customize an ISO19115 profile, this procedure must be followed:
1. Edit the file www_isotc211_org_2005_gmd_MD_Metadata.xml.
2. Hide those fields you don’t want to show in the profile. The attribute hidden=”false” will be changed by hidden=”true”. For example, if we don’t want to show the field fileIdentifier, the following change will be enough
3. Remove the references to standard classes should not be considered in the new profile. This step is only applicable to the elements with labels complex and singleComplex. For example, if we want the section identificationInfo to be completed with the class MD_DataIdentification, but no with SV_ServiceIdentification, the following changes will be necessary:
4. Repeat the previous steps for each xml file which represents the standard classes we want to consider in the personalized profile.
Activate the profile edition
In order to the application show the editor of the personalized profile, next to the rest of ISO19115 editors, the following line should be added in the file iso19115.xml, sited in the subdirectory repository/standards of the installation directory
Updating of metadata and contacts created with previous versions of the tool
In order to assure the compatibility of the new version of CatMDEdit with previous versions, there is an utility which allows the updating of metadata and contacts in the first launch of the tool.
Updating of metadata and contacts during the installation of CatMDEdit
To use metadata and contacts created with previous versions, CatMDEDit must be installed on the directory of the previous installation. For this, the user must uninstall the previous version of CatMDEdit, keeping the directory structure /repository/contact and/or /repository/metadata in which metadata will be stored.
After the installation of the new version of CatMDEdit, the user can launch the tool for the first time; in this moment, the tool will verify if there are metadata in the directories mentioned above. In case of metadata were found, the following window will be shown:
When the user presses on “Next” button, the next window will show the list of metadata which the tool has detected for updating. Each row is a metadata or contact record. The firs column, “Original file” correspondes to the metadata file identifier; the second one, “Standard”, means the metadata standard the file complies with; the third one, “New file”, shows the file identifier of the resultant metadata file after the updating; and the fourth one, “Path”, shows the path in which the metadata files are stored.
The check box “Save a copy of the original metadata (extension .old)” allows the updating of metadata and stores a backup (.old) of the original file in the directory in which they were. If the user wants to get back the original metadata, he must change the extension .old by .xml.
Once the metadata transformation has been done, metadata will appear in a way of these:
1. Like metadata records in the “List” view of the resorce browser (if metadata were in the path /repository/metadata)
2. Like contacts, in the contact directory (if metadata were in the path /repository/contact)
Importation of metadata records created with previous versions
The utility explained before will be available only the first time CatMDEdit is launched. If users want to work with old metadata in subsequence times, they will be to use the option Import, following the general instructions of the section Import and selecting the default format of importation.
Importation of contacts created with previous versions
In order to get back old contacts in subsequent to the first launch, the user must create a resource repository following the instructions of section Create, modify or delete a repository. The path of this directory must be repository/contact of the new tool installation directory.
Then, the user must import the old contacts following the instructions given at section Import and select the default format of importation. Automatically, the imported contacts will be inserted either in the repository or in the contact directory .
IMPORTANT: Uninstallation of CatMDEdit
In order to uninstall the new version of CatMDEdit, there are 2 access paths:
1. Beginning > Programs > CatMDEdit > Uninstall CatMDEdit (installation over windows with the direct entries option activated.
2. Go to the installation directory and launch /Uninstaller/uninstaller.jar (in case of other operating systems or installation without direct entries).
Once the unistaller has been launched, there are two posibilities:
1. Uninstall: this option allows the uninstallation of the program but does not delete the folder /repository, so metadata will be kept.
2. Force the deletion of [installation path] + Uninstall: this option deletes all the installation files and folders, including /repository, so all metadata will be lost.
Back to the main page of English User Manual